Thank you for your help :)

Greetings
Gregor Galwas

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:58:11 +0200, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

On 2009-08-15 01:43, Gregor Galwas wrote:
[snip]
 root:
 pegasos:/home/mcgreg# speaker-test
 speaker-test 1.0.20
 Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1008:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy
About the driver module ... I guess so? Since as I wriote in my first mail, kde is able to output sound - I hear the kde jingle when you log in (the screen ends botting) and vlc can play some files. dunno why or how.

That's a clue that aRts has taken over your card.

Try a native KDE audio player.