Re: installing a realtek 8139 lan card on 2.4.18

> What else have you done? Did you just plug it in?
>

> I also read up the network howto and tried things like putting eth0 in
> /etc/network/interfaces, trying eth0 up, etc.
>
> No use - till now.
>

> What does you system think of the card (eg, what is the output of
> lspci | grep Realtek of dmesg)? What's the output of ifconfig -a?
>

> lspci shows 00:0b.0 Ethernet Controller: MYSON Technologies Inc: Unknown
> device 0803 (dont know from where has this MYSON come in)

Why do you think you have a realtek card?

> grep of dmesg of realtek/ real/ myson/ 0803/ 8139 shows nothing!
>
> ifconfig -a shows eth0 Link encap Ethernet HWAaddr 00:A1:B0:etc.
> BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU etc.
> Some RX TX data - all zeroes
> Interrupt:5 Base address:0xf0000
>
> *Only* ifconfig shows lo Link encap:Local Loopback
> inet addr:127.0.0..1 Mask 255.0.0.0
> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric: 1
>
> modconf shows has option to install a module for realtek 8139, though there
> are other network cards
>

> How is your IP assigned? Do you have an ISP provided router or is this
> machine on the inside of a personal network?
>

> It is a cable internet connection. On my Win XP laptop, I need to connect
> the cable in my lan card port and I can access internet. The IP address, DNS
> Server address is auto-assigned - DHCP.
>
> What is in /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> /etc/network/interfaces shows:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback

What did you do at install when it asked to config your network? lo is
not an interface that will get you out in the virtual world. It's an
internal if. It looks as though you just need to config your card.

> There are a bunch of debian networking tutorials. Google lead me to
> the following (among other things):
> http://www.debian-administration.org/article/An_introduction_to_Debian_networking_setup
>
> http://www.aboutdebian.com./
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Network [+]
>

> Sure - tried these and a couple of others. But most *assume* that the
> network card is installed, recognized properly. In my case, I think that is
> the missing link - but I may be wrong.

I'm pretty sure you are wrong. I don't know if your card is supported
by debian (although there is talk about it on google), but you need to
tell your card to go get an IP address . . . in the /etc/
network/interfaces. As of now, you just have the lo interface config'd
If you're using a shnazzy wm/de, then you may have a nice gui-riffic
program to modify that file (eg., kdm - look for something like
network configuration).

I suggest you look at those tutorials again and configure your card.