Re: installing a realtek 8139 lan card on 2.4.18

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Sandip Sandip<new.debianuser@yahoo.in> wrote:
> I am trying to install a realtek 8139 lan card on an old debian machine -
> 2.4.18-bf2.4
>
> The card is properly installed - as in when I connect the lan cable it the
> lights on the card start blinking.
>
> However, I am unable to access internet. Do I need to install drivers and
> how do I do that?

What else have you done? Did you just plug it in?

What does you system think of the card (eg, what is the output of
lspci | grep Realtek of dmesg)? What's the output of ifconfig -a?

How is your IP assigned? Do you have an ISP provided router or is this
machine on the inside of a personal network?

What is in /etc/network/interfaces?

There are a bunch of debian networking tutorials. Google lead me to
the following (among other things):
http://www.debian-administration.org/article/An_introduction_to_Debian_networking_setup

http://www.aboutdebian.com./

http://wiki.debian.org/Network [+]