migrate physical machine to virtual machine

I've got to move an old Linux OS to a virtual machine.  I'm using Debian
Lenny as a host.  The guest is Suse 9.2, but I'm hoping you guys might
have some advice for me.  It uses a 2.6 kernel.

The physical machine had SCSI drives, and I have changed grub and fstab
to reflect virtualbox's hardware (hda, instead of sda).  I can boot into
single user mode and go about my business, but after a certain amount of
time it locks up hard.  It doesn't seem to matter what I do, even
running 'top' eventually gets it to lock up.

Is there anything I've missed as far as telling the kernel and OS about
my new (virtualized) hardware?  I don't expect you guys to be Suse experts, obviously,
but maybe somebody here has had a similar experience w/ Debian.

In the past I've moved hard drives from one physical machine to another
with very minimal fuss.  This one has got me stumped, though.

I'm in the process of subscribing to the OpenSuse mailing list...

-Rob