udf and dvd-ram

Hello debian-users,

Here's something I'm thinking, and I'm wondering if others may disagree.

I've been trying out udf with Debian Lenny, and I've concluded that udf
is not ready for prime time.  On my system, when a udf cdrom is
umounted, it leaves errors behind that interfere with the subsequent
working of the cdrom hardware, esp. the eject command, and the hardware
eject button.

It was an attractive idea, the ability to use ordinary file tools to
save files to a dvd-rw, but after a period of testing, I just can't make
it work satisfactorily.  The same conclusion applies to dvd-ram disks
formatted.

For some reason, Debian dealt less effectively with the cd eject
problems that did either Ubuntu or Slax.  Both these distributions
displayed the same errors on umounting, but for some reason, there was
no interference with ejecting.

As sneaker-net, USB flash drives work fine;  and multisession recording
by growisofs or k3b makes saving backups to dvd fairly easy.

Hugh