Re: Problems with sound files for events

S. Fishpaste wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:24:33 +0100, AG in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:

Hi

Using GNOME, the volume control has greyed out all options for using a
"sound theme".  The card is HDA NVidia using the ALSA mixer, but I am
unable to access any sound files for alerts, etc.

Is there an arcane trick to getting this sorted or is it a problem with
the sound card.  Other audio files play fine (*.ogg *.mp3 and audio
CDs), but Kaffeine doesn't play sound either.

Any ideas/ suggestions?

If you're using ALSA, try 'alsaconf' as root.

What is that packaged as - there doesn't seem to be any candidate and I already have alsamixergui alsa-tools and alsa-utils installed.  Using alsamixer doesn't even show up a device that I would associate with system sound events aside from "beep".

AG