Re: Can't upgrade: "Couldn't configure pre-depend libc6-i386..."

(I'm using amd64 unstable, current kernel 2.6.30-1-amd64)

I assume this is a 32bit package which i'll (pobably) only need if i
want to compile stuff for i386, right? I have these:
dpkg -l |grep libc6
ii  libc6  2.9-18
ii  libc6-dev  2.9-18
ii  libc6-dev-i386  2.9-18
ii  libc6-i386  2.9-18

and i also have:
ii  lib32stdc++6  4.4.0-10

When running apt-get update, i get  a lot of there:
Ignoring <server>_debian_dists_unstable_contrib_binary-i386_Packages.ed
Ignoring <server>_debian_dists_unstable_contrib_binary-i386_Packages.IndexDiff
Ignoring <server>_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages.ed
Ignoring <server>_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages.IndexDiff
Ignoring <server>_debian_dists_unstable_non-free_binary-i386_Packages.ed
Ignoring <server>_debian_dists_unstable_non-free_binary-i386_Packages.IndexDiff

...as well as one or two file-not-founds. Right at the first few lines
there a message saying "Updating for i386..." and while my
sources.list had little modifications (namely addinf [arch=i386] for
the skype deb, which i comented out anyway); my preferences file now
has this:

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable-i386
Pin-Priority: 400

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing-i386
Pin-Priority: 400

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable-i386
Pin-Priority: 400

Shouldn't amd64 be referred here? I've also tried pinning a package, using:
Package: nginx
Pin: version 0.7.59-1
Pin-Priority: -1

...since this is the version as seen by dpkg, and apt-cache policy does show:
Pinned packages:
     nginx -> 0.7.59-1

...but apt-get dist-upgrade still includes it for upgrading. I want to
handle this package manually since it's unstable versions are way
ahead of Debian's.

What would i not be able to do if i (somehow) removed all the i386
stuff out of the packaging system? As far as i care, all i need from
32bit is the odd package that hasn't been ported to amd64 yet or when
i sometimes need to compile code for i386.

Thanks,
Nuno

--
()  ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto
/\  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail