Re: Iceweasel 3.5

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 2009-08-11 16:44, S. Fishpaste wrote:
>>
>> Hello; First of all I'm not that familiar with a Linux GUI as I usually
>> run
>> GNU/Linux headless via CLI.
>>
>> I've got Lenny running Xserver-Xorg and I've noticed that the default
>> Iceweasel aka Firefox is an older version and I prefer to run the latest.
>>
>> I have checked backports for stable and there doesn't appear to be a 3.5
>> version, so I got Mozilla's version. Only problem it depends on XUL* which
>> wasn't available via my sources list for Lenny.
>
> That doesn't sound right.  The Mozilla binary should come with the proper
> XUL.

I agree. AFAIK, the Mozilla binary is completely self-contained, thus
not requiring any external libraries.

>> So how does one use the latest version of this web browser on Stable ?

If I were you, I would temporarily enable testing, unstable and
experimental repos, grab iceweasel and dependencies from experimental
and then disabling the repos.

You could always try and download the individual packages from a
mirror and install them with dpkg, but it can be quite tricky to get
all dependencies this way.

Cheers,
Cassiano Leal