Re: question about Dash

In <[🔎] 20090807182009.GD2675@mail.b79.net>, John Magolske wrote:
>* Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> [090807 07:38]:
>> then just install dash, let it take over the /bin/sh symlink (run
>> 'dpkg-reconfigure dash' if you're on lenny) and enjoy the additional
>> speed. I've been doing this for years without ill effects. You will
>> also notice if any 'sh' scripts are using bash extensions ;)
>
>I just tried `dpkg-reconfigure dash` and it broke some of my
>wrapper scripts. At some point I'll make them POSIX compliant, but
>until then I'd like to set my system back to what it was. I tried
>`dpkg-reconfigure bash`, but a particular wrapper script is still
>failing (worked fine before `dpkg-reconfigure dash`). Any suggestions
>regarding how to set things back? I'm running sid.

dpkg-reconfigure -p low dash
Answer "no" to the "Install dash as /bin/sh" question.
Dash should then remove it's diversion of /bin/sh -> /bin/sh.distrib

If that doesn't work just do (as root):
ls -snf bash /bin/sh

That will fix up your /bin/sh symlink, but you should really do as Siggy
suggested and use "#!/bin/bash" as your shebang line if you don't have time
to properly fix the script.

/me recently fixed a *lot* of ksh scripts to use /bin/ksh instead of
/bin/sh.