Re: Securing/encrypting a remote server

[skipping a lot of lines ...]

 Justin> Does anybody else have any ideas? Do I need a /var/tmp as well
 Justin> or could I bind mount tmp to both?

The usual problem with full-disk encryption like for example
dm-cypt/luks[0] is that you need to unlock the container at boot. With
remote access that is somewhat complicated if you do not have means for
out of band management ... dropbear is imho a nice but not
enterprise-class solution for the problem.

Anyways, what you could use is filesystem-level encryption[1]. Since it
sits atop the actual filesystem, you log on like usual and only after
that do you need a key and/or pw to unlock the filesystem-level
encryption.

[0] http://sunoano.name/ws/public_xhtml/dm-crypt_luks.html
[1] http://sunoano.name/ws/public_xhtml/debian_security.html#filesystem-level_encryption