Re: wi-fi security?

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 17:50:29 +0100
Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

> On 05 Aug 2009, Michael Ekstrand wrote:
> > >
> > > The easiest way is to use network-manager.  If you click on the Icon
> > > in your toolbar it should show you the detected networks.  You can use
> > > the "Create New Wireless Network..." or "Connect to Hidden Wireless
> > > Network..." to set up connections.
> >
> > I second the recommendation for network-manager.  If you don't want it
> > for some reason (e.g. you're allergic to Gnome dependencies), wicd is a
> > useful alternative.  I have also had decent success with wifi-radar some
> > time ago.
> >

> When I installed network-manager a week ago it blocked wired access to my
> router. I expect I could have reconfigured it in some way but it turned
> out to be unnecessary for my purpose so I removed it and everything
> worked normally again. This isn't an argument against using
> network-manager, just a warning of something to look out for.

I guess that you setup things in /etc/network/interfaces. When using network
manager or wicd you should not have any interfaces that you want to manage with
them appear in /etc/network/interfaces. Also, by default they both try to use
dhcp to setup the nic. If you use a specific address then it needs to be setup
explicitly. They are much more useful for roaming connections (moving from wifi
to/from wired on a laptop) and are not too useful on a desktop.