Re: Re: Thinkpad T60P: bricked by grub transition

Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

 |>  You might want to keep a copy of this handy:
 |>  http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Indeed. But I think I sorted this out (or at least I have succeeded in making the
system boot at least once). In case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation,
this was what worked for me:

    . booted from the Debian net install CD
    . selected Advanced from the initial menu of options
    . selected rescue mode
    . went through the first few stages of the install process
    . got to the point where it offers to drop you into a shell
    . chose the option in which the root file system is mounted on /target
    . then in the shell:

        . fdisk -l to check which device is normally mounted on /boot (a separate
                partition on this system). As it happens, that's /dev/sda1 in this case.
        . mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /target/boot
        . chroot /target
        . grub-install /dev/sda     (completed without errors)
        . grub-install --recheck /dev/sda  (completed without errors)
        . Ctl-d (to get out of the chroot)
        . exit  (to get out of the shell and back to the menu)

     . chose the Reboot option from the menu

And the thing booted fine this time.

Thanks a lot to all who offered help and advice,

Jim