IMHO, previous responses are leave out some stuff that,
if youv'e done before, will seem obvious, but which had
me stumped long ago when I first did it. See below.

On 2009-08-02_21:25:43, hce wrote:
> Thanks Johannes and all responses. That's great help.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Jupiter
>
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Johannes
> Wiedersich<johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:
> >
> > hce wrote:
> >> I bought an external disk (1 BT) and I am only connecting it to a
> >> Debian box, not window. Is it a good idea to re-fomat it by ext3?
> >
> > Yes. I consider ext3 to be more reliable than the vfat or ntfs that are
> > typically used for preformated disks.
> >
> >> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Has
> >> anyone done it?
> >
> > I guess there are millions of users who have formated ext3 before ;-)
> >
> >> ?What is the procedure and commands to do it? Anything
> >> I should be aware of not demage it?
> >
> > If there are no data on this disk, there is no danger of damaging it. If
> > there are data you are concerned about, you should have a backup of that
> > data.

Better say you MUST backup any data on HDD. Rewriting the file-system on a
partition definately makes if very hard to recover the data. Hard enough that
any advice you might get here is very likely useless.

> > Just run 'mke2fs -j /dev/<name of the partition>'

When you plug in a new HDD of the size you describe, the desktop
environment that you are running will very likely auto-mount the HDD
and create an icon on you desktop. As long as this icon is present, it
will be impossible to run the above command. So right-click the icon,
and unmount the HDD, BUT do NOT unplug it.

You must be root to run mke2fs.

To discover the device name and partition name that the kernel wants
you to use for the HDD, run 'ls -l /dev/sd*'

If this give more than two lines of output, unplug whatever other USB
devices you are running and repeat. If you still have more than two
lines, go slow, and think hard. Try unplugging your new HDD and plugging
it in again, and monitor how/what device names change as you do that.

You should also give the partition a 'label'. Hal will automatically
create a mount point in /media from this label when you plug in the
reformatted HDD. And will automatically delete the mount point when
you unmount the HDD. Choose a label the works for you as a mount-point
name. Consider what you might want this to be after you have purchased
you second external HDD and want to give that HDD a label that allows
simultaneous mounting for disk-to-disk copy.

Once you have gotten this working, you might consider giving labels to
any memory sticks you already have, but be warned: they are vfat and
they have data on them which will be lost if you try to write a label
onto a vfat partition the way I did it. How did I do it? Well, I can't
really remember. It was long ago Vfat is much clunkier than
ext2/3. Don't trust what youv'e learned about labeling your new HDD to
apply to your existing memeory sticks. And be cautious about
reformatting your memory sticks to ext3. That will make them useless
for aharing files/data with friends who use Windows.