Re: Help with postgresql upgrade

--- On Mon, 3/8/09, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
> Subject: Re: Help with postgresql upgrade
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Monday, 3 August, 2009, 4:14 PM
> On 2009-08-03 09:31, Andrew Perrin
> wrote:
> > Greetings all-
> >
> > Running postgresql under debian, my standard apt-get
> upgrade upgraded me
> > from 8.3 to 8.4. As a result, I no longer have access
> to the databases
> > that were created under 8.3. Typically I would use
> pg_upgradecluster to
> > fix this problem; however, the upgrade also removed
> 8.3, and so I have no
> > access to these databases! Reinstalling 8.3 does not
> restore the
> > access, although it does appear that the raw files are
> still there.
> >
> > I do have regular tape backups of the databases, but
> am having trouble
> > getting them to read. So I would love advice on one
> (or both) of the
> > following questions:
> >
> > 1.) Is there a way to "reconnect" the 8.3 server,
> after reinstalling it,

Hmm what's in the log - is PGDATA pointing to the rith place?

> > to the raw files, so that the databases are there? I
> will then do a
> > pg_upgradecluster and be happy; or, alternatively,

First step, I'd back up that data directory before trying anything. I'm not entirely sure what pg_upgradecluster does - a quick google seems to reveal it's some sort of cludge to copy and update the config files and then do a dump restore?

As far as I know the only current upgrade paths from 8.3 to 8.4 are a dump restore, pg_migrator (which requires both 8.3 and 8.4 running concurrently) or use slony to replicate the upgrade into place for you (again you'd need both 8.3 and 8.4 running).

> > 2.) Can someone help with the restore process from
> tape? The command my
> > script uses to write the backups to tape is:
> >         pg_dump -F t
> <databasename> | bzip2 -c | dd of=/dev/nst0 obs=512
> conv=sync

A guess, correct me if I'm wrong;

dd if=/dev/nst0 | bzip2 -d -c | pg_restore -U <username> -C -F t -d <database name>

> > Thanks for advice on either or both.
>
> You'll probably have to use a custom port number for v8.3.

Yeah, but only if he's running 8.4 and 8.3 side by side.