Re: Safest maintenance of a sid system

AG wrote:

> Hi
>
> Having recently upgraded to sid, I want to try to ensure that I am able
> to maintain a more or less stable system under those circumstances and
> in the full knowledge that, by definition, sid is unstable and may be
> subject to breakages.
>
> With this in mind, what do the more experienced sid users do in terms of
> the daily updates of packages that come through - for example - the
> Update Notification?  I know that sidux users rely on some scripts -
> sxmi and sgfi (??) I think - but I wonder if that is what native sid
> users rely on or do you have your own recipes for maintaining reasonable
> stability?  For example, the use of scripts such as those from sidux, or
> not doing a daily system update or ... ?
>
> Thanks for any tips/ steers.
>
> AG

Install apt-listbugs, apt-listchanges. Upgrade packages only if you know why
you want to upgrade them. If you don't know why you are upgrading a
package, you don't need that upgrade. Those are my rules when upgrading a
sid system.

Also, over the years of using a SID system, you'll have a feel for which
upgrades can be trusted which might break your system etc., For example, I
never had problems upgrading gcc, coreutils etc., But I do not rush to
upgrade to the latest KDE apps. YMMV.

hth
raju
--