Re: Network concerns and configuration draft 4

Is there a particular brand of router?

Is the multi-tiered switch configuration preventing this?

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 6:27 AM, Paul Scott <pslist@ultrasw.com> wrote:
John Haggerty wrote:
I would ask would a static ip really be able to allow the machines to reach the outer network?

Why not?  As long as the outer fixed IP is routable which it would be.

OTOH dyndns.org and others provide a way to tell the outside world what your current IP is.  These services are free for personal use.

I do most of what you are doing.

Paul Scott

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 6:55 AM, Cousin Stanley <cousinstanley@hotmail.com <mailto:cousinstanley@hotmail.com>> wrote:

   > Ok so here is the issue I have a desire to run my own linux server
   > as an rt box and to do wiki web serving plus email.
   >
   > I run off of a qwest dsl setup that is feeding 4 computers that are
   > all getting internet ....
   > 6. I am looking for the best option for the money I like cheap
   > and I like something that gives all comps access but allows me
   > my file serving

   John ....

    I'm also a qwest dsl user and did a fair amount of net searching
    several months back looking for a similar solution ....

    The best I remember now from those searches at the time
    is that the path of least resistance and headache might be
    to pay qwest a few extra $$$ per month for a static ip ....

    Personlly, I gave up on it and as yet haven't bought
    any static ips from qwest ....

   --
   Stanley C. Kitching
   Human Being