Etch -> Lenny upgrade broke encrypted filesystem

Hi -

I have a cryptsetup encrypted filesystem on Etch.  I set it up at install time.

When I updated to 5.0.2, it no longer boots.

The kernel says "Waiting for root file system", then "cryptsetup: source device /dev/sda5 not found"

The system still boots when I select the old kernel in GRUB.

When I boot with the new kernel, the devices /dev/sda1, sda2, and sda5 are still there, but I haven't been able to use them.

I can unlock the device with cryptsetup via busybox, but I am not sure what to do next.