Re: approx: infinite loop during update, importing

On 28-07-2009, whollygoat@letterboxes.org <whollygoat@letterboxes.org> wrote:
> I've two questions re approx version 3.3.0 on
> lenny i386.  The first is, anybody else get
> caught in an infinite loop updating the Packages
> files?  I've tried from localhost and a remote
> machine.  On both machines, running "aptitude
> update" causes the Packages file to start
> downloading (you can watch it grow with repeated
> "find /var/cache/approx -type -f -ls"), then
> after awhile the file disappears, and a few
> seconds later appears once more continuing
> to grow until it disappears again.  In short, it
> ain't working for me.

Using approx since three years, never seen such a behavior.

You should check that:
- you have enough space where the Package files is downloaded
- your internet connection doesn't failed while downloading
- you can download from the machine hosting approx the Package file,
  from internet without problem (e.g. using curl).

Take a look at /var/log/*, there should be plenty information (and
especially related events to your failure).

Regards
Sylvain Le Gall