approx: infinite loop during update, importing

I've two questions re approx version 3.3.0 on
lenny i386.  The first is, anybody else get
caught in an infinite loop updating the Packages
files?  I've tried from localhost and a remote
machine.  On both machines, running "aptitude
update" causes the Packages file to start
downloading (you can watch it grow with repeated
"find /var/cache/approx -type -f -ls"), then
after awhile the file disappears, and a few
seconds later appears once more continuing
to grow until it disappears again.  In short, it
ain't working for me.

Secondly, sites such as the following lead me
to believe that it is possible to import packages
from the local download cache to the approx
repository:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jaunty/man8/approx-import.8.html
http://bethesignal.org/blog/2009/04/13/approx-package-caching-ubuntu-debian-lovers/

but I don't seem to have approx-import on my system
and I can't find any approx packages that look like
they might contain such an utility.  Any pointers?

Thanks,

willy
--

  whollygoat@letterboxes.org