Re: request for a mono vote.

In <[🔎] 4A6B45BF.5090304@yahoo.gr>, aprekates wrote:
>I'm not saying to 'kick someone', i'm arguing about moving in non-free
>section.

If it is to be removed from main for patent issues, it can't be distributed
in non-free either.  It would be in the same boat as MP3-encoding.

>So i think formally  maybe
>you're right and its free software but if you step back and take other
>angles   it's valid to
>argue seriously about mono being a nascent threat for Debian in many
>levels  and not
>only in a strict interpretation of current license issues.

While it is not trivial, it would be possible to drop mono from the archive,
get out new ISOs for stable (and possibly oldstable), etc. in less than 2
weeks from the time any patent claim became active and pursued.

If Debian took such quick action, a judge would be hard-pressed to penalize
SPI.