Re: request for a mono vote.

In <[🔎] 4A6B3B97.60404@gmail.com>, Πρεκατές Αλέξανδρος wrote:
>As a dedicated  debian user i want to express my concerns and worries
>regarding mono inclusion in main
>and i  ask for a vote for mono in non-free/main because:
>
>1) I feel like microsoft is not clear about the license issues.

Do you have some evidence that Microsoft has *any* copyright, patent, or
trademark claim on the code in Mono?

>2) MS is a monopoly in desktop OS market and its monopoly aggresive
>behavior has been proven
>in courts and is evident every day. see netbook market for example.
>Wouldnt a pro-ms pro-monopoly  move harm the excellent name Debian has
>build?

I don't see how this has anything to do with the Free Software status of
Mono and that is all that matters for sorting software into
main/contrib/non-free.

Free Software that does not depend on non-Free Software goes in main, Free
Software that depends on non-Free Software goes in contrib, and non-Free
Software goes into non-free.

>3) Is essential to me and the way i perceive the debian identity to has
>a clear position out of middleware rivalries of
>multinationals companies not favoring or taking sides.

I don't see how providing Mono puts Debian "in middleware rivalries" anymore
than providing Perl, Python, Ruby, Rails, Java, TomCat, GlassFish.

>+1 for a voting procedure.

I'm pretty sure this is the wrong place for that, anyway.