Re: (EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist)

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 14:49:19 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 14:39:38 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> > Since freetype is now obsolete, does it mean that the ttf/Type 1/
> > Chinese rendering are supported natively by xorg out of box?
> Would freetype libraries be obsolete as well in the future? How does xorg
> and X apps handle ttf/Type 1/Chinese rendering now?
> Thanks
> $ dpkg -l | grep -i freet
> ii  libfreetype6   2.3.9-5        FreeType 2 font engine, shared library
> files
> ii  libxft2        2.1.13-3       FreeType-based font drawing library for

As far as I understand it, xorg will continue to use libfreetype6 for
font rendering; both libxfont1 and libxft2 depend on it directly. I do
not know the details of how the xorg module named "freetype" was
involved in the font rendering for earlier versions of xorg, but this
module is clearly not needed anymore.

          Florian   |