Re: Install on Mac G4

Suzanne wrote:
Mac Powerbook G4. How do I install without Grub?
Michael

Might I humbly suggest RTFM?

A piddling amount of googling leades to: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ - the installation manual for Debian on PowerPC.

I direct your attention to section 6.3.6.2:

"Newer (mid 1998 and on) PowerMacs use *yaboot* as their boot loader. The installer will set up *yaboot* automatically, so all you need is a small 820k partition named “bootstrap” with type /Apple_Bootstrap/ created back in the partitioning component. If this step completes successfully then your disk should now be bootable and OpenFirmware will be set to boot Debian GNU/Linux"

There's no mention of Grub anywhere in there.

I'll also mention that a little more googling will suggest that, if you want to dual boot w/ OS X, install OS X first, then debian. I believe the quote was "the OS X installer is very unfriendly to other operating systems." Be sure to leave a partition for OS X.