Secure wipe considered voodoo (was Re: favorite dban parameters)

On 2009-07-25 00:54, Jude DaShiell wrote:
At the boot: prompt I usually key in autostart 5 then hit enter. A 200GB disk takes about 8 hours to clean so figure your timing accordingly if you decide to use this.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

Read the 2nd paragraph of the Epilogue, and then scale that up from 80GB to 200, 250, 320, etc, etc.

Were I to get rid of a HDD, I'd put it in an external enclosure, fdisk it to make 1 huge partition, mkfs it vfat or ext2, then run this script:

http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson/sfill.py

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer