Re: Live CD says all fs clean, but...

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 03:39:42AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2009-07-24 02:05, lee wrote:
>>> That's what I eventually did, earlier this evening.
>>
>> Did it work?
>
> Sorry, I meant to imply that it did.

I was thinking it does now, but I wasn't sure :)

>> What happens when you boot in single mode, rename /var to something
>> else and reboot with a writable root fs? If it works, you would have
>> an indication that /var not being writable isn't a problem.
>
> ???
>
> It wouldn't be able to find all those important directories and files.

You're supposed to be able to boot with no other partitions mounted
than the root fs. That's why there are directories like /sbin and /lib
(which you're not supposed to put onto other partitions). If you can't
boot without /var being writable, there's something wrong.

If you don't have /var, not everything will function as intended, but
that doesn't mean that you couldn't boot without /var. You can do it
for testing --- if you can boot without /var, there must be something
going wrong during the boot process when the root fs starts out being
mounted ro.