Re: resize2fs: Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!

On 2009-07-23 16:22, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
On Mon, Jul 20 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 2009-07-08 20:23, Miles Bader wrote:
[snip]
Hmm, my / is 290MB, though /tmp, /var, /boot, and /usr are all separate
partitions.
*Why*?  IOW, what benefit do you derive in 2009 (as opposed to 1989,
when disks weren't always large enough to hold it all) from splitting
these out?
        Security?

/dev/sdb2				/		ext3	noatime,errors=remount-ro	0	1
Why device names instead of labels or UUIDs?

        *Shrug*. Been a while, and it has been working form me for
 years. Why change?

Perfectly valid reason!!

/dev/sda1				/boot		ext3	noatime,rw,defaults,noauto	0	2
noauto?????

        Who the hell wants the braindead initramfs mucking around with a
 working boot system? It also ensures that I have to be actively
 thinking about modifying my boot process before changes happen.

YAPVR.

[snip]
Seems to me that this whole exercise is to ensure that /dev is in it's
own partition.

        Layered security is always better than waiting for the silver
 bullet all secure mechanism. It is all about increasing the work factor
 for Mallory.

Bah! *Everyone* knows that there's one simple solution to all problems!!

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer