Re: RAID probs

also sprach Glenn English <ghe@slsware.com> [2009.07.23.1943 +0200]:
> I created md0, 1, and 2 RAID1 arrays with mdadm, containing
> partitions from missing and sdb. Then I changed my mind, but mdadm
> seems to be trying to put them together anyway, and I can't figure
> out where it's getting the info.

From superblocks, which are scanned by the default auto-assembly
code.

> I purged mdadm, deleted /etc/mdadm, grep -r'ed /etc and /boot for
> md0 (didn't fine any), find'ed /etc for "*md*" (nothing), zeroed
> the first 10000 bytes of sdb, and rebooted. fdisk -l says there's
> no md*.

The superblocks are stored at the end of the disk. Sorry. ;)

> I'm sure it's going to be obvious in retrospect, but what's the
> --nuke_from_orbit switch for mdadm?

mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdbX

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"the pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
                                                      -- oscar wilde