RAID probs

I created md0, 1, and 2 RAID1 arrays with mdadm, containing partitions from missing and sdb. Then I changed my mind, but mdadm seems to be trying to put them together anyway, and I can't figure out where it's getting the info.

I purged mdadm, deleted /etc/mdadm, grep -r'ed /etc and /boot for md0 (didn't fine any), find'ed /etc for "*md*" (nothing), zeroed the first 10000 bytes of sdb, and rebooted. fdisk -l says there's no md*.

But when I apt-get install mdadm, it tries to create all 3 -- it claims to succeed with md0:

Starting MD monitoring service: mdadm --monitor.
Assembling MD array md0...done (degraded [1/2]).

and

sbox:/usr/local# ls /dev/md*
/dev/md0  /dev/md1  /dev/md2

and

sbox:/usr/local# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sdb[0]
      625131776 blocks [2/1] [U_]
unused devices: <none>

I'm sure it's going to be obvious in retrospect, but what's the --nuke_from_orbit switch for mdadm?

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com