Advices regarding hdparm multcount option

Hello

My Gygabyte motherboard (SB700 with AMD4400+) has poor SATA
performance. Any disk I/O leads to high system CPU percentage.
And the AHCI interrupt is about 1000/s even for low disk usage.

Using hdparm, I've found that all my sata disks have multcount set to 0:

$ sudo hdparm /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
 multcount     =  0 (off)
 IO_support    =  0 (default)
 readonly      =  0 (off)
 readahead     = 256 (on)
 geometry      = 38913/255/63, sectors = 625142448, start = 0

As far as I can tell, I should get better performance by setting
mulcount to 8 or 16. (ie. hdparm -m 16 /dev/sdb)

But, hdparm warns that -m is a dangerous option.

What is your opinion on this ? Is this really dangerous ? Or is it only
when playing with too high mulcount value ?

All the best

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they

irc:
  domidumont at irc.freenode.net
  ddumont at irc.debian.org