Re: Will Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.2 Work 4 Me? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

On 2009-07-20 16:28, Gibson, Jodie MRS wrote:
*UNCLASSIFIED*

Hi,
I am investigating a change to Linux from a windows based product that allows me to communicate with a VAX/VMS system. It will be 'talking' to VMS V5.2, via LAT protocol 4.7.

Geez, that's *ancient*...  Try this instead:
http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html

>                           Will the latest version of Debian Linux?

Yes, with a bit of extra work.

I understand from one of our software engineers that a kernel of 2.6 would be preferable, but 2.4 would work OK?

While "legacy" systems like VMS guarantee that what runs on V5.2 will still run on the latest V8.3, Linux isn't like that (especially with network device drivers like what will be needed by LAT).

So, go with kernel 2.6. No modern "distribution" has supported 2.4 in quite a few years.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

I don't see these apps in Debian's repository, but there should be no problem in compiling them yourself.

http://linux-decnet.wiki.sourceforge.net/
http://linux-decnet.wiki.sourceforge.net/LAT

Since I doubt that any distro build DECnet support into their kernels, "you" (or your software engineers) will have to compile your own custom kernel from sources provided by Debian. But that's a trivial task.

*IMPORTANT*: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.

Seeing as how you are sending this email to a public mailing list that's going to be mirrored in dozens of countries, that's a pretty ludicrous claim.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer