Re: remount removeable drive in Lenny - how?

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun,19.Jul.09, 08:11:21, Paul E Condon wrote:
>> I have no objection to the status of hal as a required part of a
>> standard desktop installation, but I do have a question as to how best
>> to deal with a peculiar situation.
>>
>> I have several USB hard drives (ones with rotating machinery inside,
>> not solid state 'disks'). From time to time I need to perform format
>> maintenance on one of them. In order to do this, I look in /dev to see
>> what device name has been assigned to the drive, umount it, and do
>> whatever - e2fsck, tune2fs, etc. But when I'm finish doing
>> maintenance, how to I remount it without pulling the USB cable,
>> waiting a while, and reinserting the cable? Is there a console command
>> that I can type that avoids the extra wear on the fragile little
>> connectors and plugs? I'm looking for something that retriggers the
>> look-up of volume label and the creation of a mount-point in /media as
>> was there before I started mucking about.
>
> This thread seems interesting

Yes, it should solve the problem, but I would still like to understand
why hal/udev must remove the device links in /dev/. The OP in the thread
wants hal to act as if the device was just plugged. I do not want hal's
routines to be triggered again, I just want to be able to mount manually
my drive. I will look around to see if I can configure hal not to remove
device files, and to understand why it's configured that way by default.

> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/re-detectmount-usb-hard-drive-623089/
>
> (the first hit when I googled: hal redetect devices)

I do not want hal to rededect devices, but it wa a good shot. ;)

Thanks,

Tiago.