Re: Hdd stop / Acpi / Debian Lenny

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:16:51AM +0200, Frederic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed Debian Lenny. The hdd often stops... Is there a problem with
> acpi?

How do you know that the disk stops? Or do you mean it stops working
and becomes unusable?

> Debian lenny est uninstalled at the moment. How to disable acpi
> definitely before the installation? press tab before the installation
> and add acpi=off?

Afair that should be right. Once booted, you could check what modules
are loaded or look at the output of dmesg to find out if AHCI is used
or not.

But you might have to turn off AHCI in the BIOS before it works
without AHCI. When you do that, AHCI shouldn't work --- that might an
easy way to disable it.

See also man hdparm, maybe hdparm can tell you more about the disk and
it's power management.