Re: [Semi-OT] Need advice on AMD mobo

On 2009-07-19 16:26, David Christensen wrote:
Mark Allums wrote:
... rethinking the brand loyalty.
The point being that an Intel chip is, in my opinion, the current overall winner.

[snip]
Companies that get in bed with Microsoft and pay for Windows
> Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL) testing ensure that their products
work with Windows. (NVIDIA didn't/doesn't; therefore the problems.)
> But there is no single WHQL equivalent for free/ open-source software
(FOSS). So, it's up to the vendors and the projects, and they don't
have the Microsoft Windows tax to supplement the costs. Intel
supports FOSS -- paying employees/ contractors to work on it, giving
presentations/ classes, releasing technical information, releasing
source code drivers, etc.. Can someone name another major PC
hardware vendor who does the same? (If so, please do; I'd like to know.)

The end result is that, in general, Intel stuff is better
> upported in the FOSS world. There are always exceptions; if you're
willing to do the homework, get out your wallet, and/or do the
integration/ testing. I prefer a fast, easy, and successful
out-of-the-box experience, so my next motherboard and CPU are likely
to be Intel.

I've used AMD kit and compatible chipsets since the K6-2 days, and nvidia cards (with both nv and nvidia drivers) almost as long. This ASRock mobo is the only one that I've had trouble with.

It's not even the CPU that I'm having trouble with, but the BIOS and chipset. Finally I got it to boot: went to watch TV for a few hours, and when I came back, the board recognized all my drives. Even still, though, when I reboot, it just sits at the BIOS splash screen. Must wait an hour or so before it gets beyond that point. I suspect overheating, but that doesn't make much sense, because the system is otherwise very stable.

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer