Re: remount removeable drive in Lenny - how?

On 2009-07-19_16:42:21, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Paul E Condon:
> >
> > I have several USB hard drives (ones with rotating machinery inside,
> > not solid state 'disks'). From time to time I need to perform format
> > maintenance on one of them. In order to do this, I look in /dev to see
> > what device name has been assigned to the drive, umount it, and do
> > whatever - e2fsck, tune2fs, etc. But when I'm finish doing
> > maintenance, how to I remount it without pulling the USB cable,
>
> The actions you listed change neither the partition layout nor
> filesystem UUIDs, so you should be able to just mount it again, using
> the same device name or UUID as before.

But, for hal-mounted devices, the umount also deletes the mount-point.
If I manually create a mount-point, which I must do prior to
attempting a manual mount, then the next time hal mounts this HD, it
creates a differently named mount point. I find this to be
unclean. And, also a lot of typing. And periodic housekeeping to keep
/media reasonably uncluttered.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net