Re: ia32-apt-get on Sid

Dave Witbrodt <dawitbro@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I use Sid, and have been interested in the appearance of the new
> ia32-apt-get facility.
>
> I see that ia32-apt-get has its own configuration files in
>
>     /etc/ia32-apt
>
> After reading /usr/share/doc/ia32-apt-get/README.Debian, I'm a bit
> confused on how this new system works

Sorry, I forgot to update README.Debian when I uploaded version
22. The NEWS file is right about dropping the diversions.

> 1)  The README.Debian file seems to indicate that updating should be
> performed using ordinary commands such as
>
>     apt-get  update
>
> or
>
>     aptitude update
>
> However, 'dpkg -L ia32-apt-get' indicates that new wrappers are
> provided, 'ia32-apt-get' and 'ia32-aptitude', which makes it seem like
> updating should be done with those wrappers instead, like this:
>
>     ia32-apt-get  update
>
> or
>
>     ia32-aptitude update

The later is right.

> 2)  When the new packages were first installed, my understanding was
> that commands like 'aptitude' and 'apt-get' had been diverted, and
> running them would actually run the corresponding 'ia32-apt*' wrapper
> instead.  Reading NEWS.Debian.gz in /usr/share/doc/ia32-apt-get now
> seems to indicate that the diversion scheme has been dropped.
>
> That raises many questions:
>
> Should users be using 'aptitude', or 'ia32-aptitude', or both?

The later.

> Should repository servers be listed in
>
>     /etc/apt/sources.list
> and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list
>
> or should they be in
>
>     /etc/ia32-apt/sources.list
> and /etc/ia32-apt/sources.list.d/*.list?

The later.

> 3)  Do the 'ia32-apt*' wrappers keep their own database file for
> installed packages, or do they share the same database with the
> primary APT system.  For example, I have noticed that 'aptitude' still
> correctly shows my automatic dependencies, but running 'ia32-aptitude'
> indicates that none of my installed packages are marked as automatic
> dependencies.

The database for installed packages is kept by dpkg in
/var/lib/dpkg/status. That remains common for everything. But the
database of available packages is in /var/cache/ia32-apt/ and the
sources files are in /var/lib/ia32-apt/lists and will only bee used by
ia32-*.

I don't use aptitude myself but it looks to me like
/var/lib/apt/extended_states contains informations about automatically
installed packages. With the wrappers
/var/lib/ia32-apt/extended_states is used instead. Does it help to
copy /var/lib/apt/extended_states to /var/lib/ia32-apt/extended_states?

> If someone could clear up the confusion for me, I would really
> appreciate it.
>

> Thanks,
> Dave W.

MfG