Re: [Semi-OT] Need advice on AMD mobo

ron.l.johnson@cox.net wrote:
Just got an ASRock A780GXE/128M, and it seems to have difficulty seeing more
than 4 devices. (I've got 4 SATA HDDs, a SATA DVD-RW and a PATA HDD.) Here are my needs: - AM2 socket - ATX form factor, - 6 (or even 8) SATA sockets, - 4 DIMM slots. On-board 1394 would be useful. The A780GXE has all those features, but apparently doesn't implement them well. Just in order to get it to boot from CD-ROM (I'm now running from an Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD), I had to disconnect the lone PATA drive. I'd break down and get an AM2+ CPU if the mobo were *great* and didn't support AM2.
Also, I'm running Sid with 2.6.30, so "modern" doesn't scare me.

I recently had to replace a MD and ended up with a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P. It meets or exceeds your specs and was not as expensive as I had expected (newegg)

AMD2+/AMD2 socket MB for
AMD Phenom II X3/X4
AMD Phenom FX/X4
AMD Phenom X3/X2