Re: Re: Re: how to create again eth0

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 08:39:55AM +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:
> Yes thanks,
> It seems that the problem is loading module.
> It refuses to load the module,
> modprobe  b44      doesn't give any error,  but  lsmod |grep b44
> dones't give anything !!!

Yeah, insmod doesn't always print an error message when a module
isn't loaded. It will print one when it can't find the module one is
trying to load, though.

> the module is not loaded, why ???, the modules is there.
> the word "eth0"  depends on  loading or not of the modules ???!
> ifconfig  eth0      gives   no such device ??

Yeah, if you get eth0 (or eth1, eth2 ...) depends on two things:
what udev does.

Udev will eventually give you an eth1 or eth2 for a network card, like
when you had eth0 for network card A, then you physically removed this
card and installed network card B: You'll get eth1 even if you have
only one network card. I'm not sure if that's a bug, but it should be
eth0 if you have only one card.

> I tried  this too:   removed the   75-persistent-net-generator.rules
> 70-persistent-net.rules  in /etc/udev/rules.d  ,  hoping that the udev
> tries to detect again the device, but  problem persists.
> Help please I don't understand

Don't mess with that ...

You simply don't have an eth0 or eth1 ... before you have the right
module loaded for the card.

ifconfig -a will show you all network cards you have; if it doesn't
show any or says "no such device", then there isn't any network card
available.

Perhaps you need a different module for the card you have, or the card
is turned off in the BIOS, or it's broken?

Which network card do you have? lspci might tell you.