Re: Can I check packages integrity with debsums on sums chech failed DVDs?

Sthu Deus wrote:
> Also, I tried:
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info$ dpkg -S ace-of-penguins.md5sums | grep var
>
> and got:
>
> dpkg: *ace-of-penguins.md5sums* not found.

This is to be expeced. The md5sum is not part of the package. dpkg -S
searches files belonging to a software package, not files that contain
the signature of the package.

What does 'll /var/lib/dpkg/info/ace-of-penguins.md5sums' yield
(assuming that you have the package ace-of-penguins installed)?

> How I can find out from whence the file has come?

Probably not at all. Your files will have the same md5sums no matter
from where you've got the package (ie. it does not matter, if the
package is from your DVD someone else's dvd or from some server over the
internet, as long as the integrity of the files is ok (ie. md5sums).

To verify you could try 'debsums ace-of-penguins'

Cheers,
Johannes