Using Curlftpfs

This goody lets one mount a remote ftp to one's local filesystem using fuse.

However, navigating this mounted filesystem is soooo sloooow as to render it
quite problematic. Anything accessing it such as dolphin or a terminal session
gets stuck up quite well.

I do not understand curlftpfs's options, but I think one needs to cache the
directory structure at least. I would like to be able to service this
filesystem but it seems now quite impractical.

Anyone had success in setting this up to be actually useful