Re: lvm2 - question about pvmove

In <[🔎] 4A5B841E.7010900@cox.net>, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> In your case, you'll have to add at least 3 of the new PVs to the VG
>> before pvmove will let you begin.  Are you going to move swap onto LVM?
>> If not, make sure your partition table for the new drive still has space
>> for swap.
>
>So pvmove will spread the blocks across any empty devices?

1. Read the manpage.
2. You can specify a destination or destinations if you like.  You can also
limit the source to a single LV.
3. Yes.

>> Like others, I think having multiple PVs on a single physical disk is a
>> bit silly, but I don't foresee it causing any issues.
>
>Is there an lvmove or vgmove?

There is no lvmove or vgmove, nor is there a need for them.  Moving a VG to
different physical media is handled via pvmove.  Moving a LV to different
physical media is handled via pvmove.  Moving a PV to different phyical
media doesn't make sense (usually) and is NOT handled via pvmove.

If you have a VG that is on /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb and you want to move it
(and, of course, all the LVs it contains) to /dev/sdc1, /dev/sdc2,
/dev/sdc3, and /dev/sdc4, you do:
pvcreate /dev/sdc1
pvcreate /dev/sdc2
pvcreate /dev/sdc3
pvcreate /dev/sdc4
vgextend $vg /dev/sdc1
vgextend $vg /dev/sdc2
vgextend $vg /dev/sdc3
vgextend $vg /dev/sdc4
pvmove /dev/sda2
pvmove /dev/sdb
vgreduce $vg /dev/sda2
vgreduce $vg /dev/sdb
pvremove /dev/sda2
pvremove /dev/sdb

If your VG contains /dev/md1, a RAID-0 device, and /dev/sdb, a hardware
RAID-6 device, and part of LV "home" was allocated to /dev/md1 accidentally
or temporarily you can move that data to /dev/sdb with:
pvmove /dev/md1 -n home /dev/sdb