Re: Is a Universal Desktop Experience possible?

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 5:13 AM, John Hasler<jhasler@debian.org> wrote:

>> And many apps keep files open while running, leading to lockouts or
>> races.
>
> Elucidate.

Firefox.

You can only have a profile open on one machine at a time.

Very annoying.

There is no need to a profile to be tied to exactly one running
instance of the application.  Much of the data is stored in sqlite,
which I believe supports this mode of operation.  It should be
possible to do this.

Instead of launching FF directly, I launch a wrapper with picks a
different profile based on the machine name (and whether it's under
VNC or not).  I keep one profile as the master, and have a script that
syncs the rest to the master profile.  I keep any info I want shared
in online systems (i..e, bookmarks, history).

mrc