Re: Is a Universal Desktop Experience possible?

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 04:24:03PM -0700, SteveM wrote:
> Fellow Debians,
>
> I have seven systems scattered around the house.  I thought a NFS and a
> shared /home would solve my file sharing problems but it doesn't help
> with desktop app configs.
>
> What I'd like is a Universal Desktop Experience, i.e. same kicker applets,
> same konsole profiles, same amarok playlists, same xpad postits, etc,
> whereever I login.  I'm a KDE type, but afaict the issue affects all
> DE's.
>
> My goal doesn't seem unreasonable and I expect others share it.  If that
> group includes you, what's your solution?  Is there a non-web-based UDE?

I think NFS mounted /home should work, as long as you're using the same distro on each computer.  Sometimes different versions of programs have differences in their config
files, which is why you want to stay with the same distro if you're going to NFS mount /home.

By "NFS and a shared /home", I suspect you are running a local /home and then having an NFS share as something like /mnt/home-on-main-server, for the purpose of accessing files.
If you mount that share as /home, you'll also get all your customizations by way of the hidden files/directories in /home.

Lastly, if some of the systems are old, you might consider using LTSP and booting them as thin clients.  That's what I use at home.

-Rob