"Cannot initialize SFTP protocol. Is the host running a SFTP server?" -- winscp problem with scponlyc login shell -- solved

Hi,

My son has an scponlyc "shell" login on one of my servers.

He started to get this error:
"Cannot initialize SFTP protocol. Is the host running a SFTP server?"

He was trying to connect using WinSCP ....

The problem was that the chroot home directory wasn't owned by root, so the login failed. I fixed this and made sure his group could write to the directory, but it is now owned by root.

Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP