Re: To build debian packages from source

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009, Sven Joachim wrote:

On 2009-07-10 10:25 +0200, Robert Holtzman wrote:

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009, Kevin Ross wrote:

dpkg-buildpackage will compile the code and create a .deb package that you
can then install.

dpkg-buildpackage is a script with an associated man page. Only
problem is I can't find it on my Lenny system. Is it part of another
package? build-essential maybe?

It is part of dpkg-dev, a package that you must install if you want to
build any Debian package.  Installing build-essential is also highly
recommended if you don't want to experience build failures.

Another package that you should install is fakeroot, it allows you to
build packages without having to become root (dpkg-dev should really
recommend it, but currently does not).

That clears it up for me. Thanks

--
Bob Holtzman
AF9D 8760 0CFA F95A 6C77  E125 BF90 580F 8D54 9279