Surgery and Aftermath

I compiled 2.6.30-2 off Sid, built and booted up just fine.

Firmware-linux for matrox cards is incorrect. So I tried some surgery. I tool
mga-warp.c and mga-ucode.h from 2.6.28, which had working firmware, and placed
in the 2.6.30 sources (after having saved the orignal mga-warp.c and the
working image deb.

I ran make-kpkg, this compiled the mga-warp, LD'd the mga module and built
normally. When I tried to boot this image:

Attempt 1 -- beep, bios check, setup signature not found
Attempt 2 -- loading 2.6.30 ........... and then stopped there

So I booted up 2.6.29 and reinstalled the previous 2.6.30 image that had
booted previously.

Got the same result!

Note that I never got to starting Xorg to see if the mga module I changed is
valid or not. Never loaded ANY modules. What might be happening and how would
I fix this (I am using lilo which was not changed)?