Re: Does Debian = Ubuntu?

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 05:51:20AM +0100, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 06:59:36PM -0500, Chris wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 16:55:01 -0700
> > Daniel Spisak <dspisak@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > This is not a flippant question, but one I'm curious to hear an
> > > answer to.
> > >
> > > Is Ubuntu just Debian but with a prettier look to it?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > Ubuntu is a Debian-based distro.
> >

> Lots of differences: some big, some small but all may be significant. I
> am _NOT_speaking in an official capacity for the Debian project or,
> indeed, for Ubuntu to whom I'm also a contributor.

<snip>

As a user of both Debian and Ubuntu, one big difference I notice is in the number daily/weekly package upgrades.  Debian stable has very few upgrades, because it's been tested
for so long.  Debian testing has many upgrades because of the nature of that release.  Ubuntu, whether it's a "regular" release or an LTS release, seems to have just about as
many upgrades as Debian testing.

In my experience, the upgrades with all of the above versions always seem to go well.  But if it's a mission-critical server you're talking about, any upgrade is a potential
problem, so the fewer the better.

-Rob