Re: Does Debian = Ubuntu?

2009/7/8 Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de>:
> Andrew M.A. Cater:
>>
>> Upgrades between releases
>> =========================
>>
>> You'll hear lots of views on this. SUBJECTIVE OPINION FOLLOWS:GUT
>> FEELING AND EXPERIENCE IN EQUAL PARTS. Ubuntu is harder to upgrade
>> cleanly between releases and it may actually be quicker to reinstall.
>> You certainly can't skip a release so you'd need to do 8.04, 8.10,
>> 9.04, 9.10 (for example). This is partly a consequence of short release
>> cycles above. Debian is _far_ more polished here /SUBJECTIVE
>
> JFTR: Debian doesn't support skipping releases on upgrades either. If
> want to to upgrade a woody system to lenny, you have to upgrade to sarge
> first. But of course this is less of an issue since Debian doesn't
> release that often.
>
> And I think (without being sure) that you can always upgrade from one
> Ubuntu LTS release to the next, skipping the intermediate non-LTS
> releases.
>
> J.
> --
> Ultimately, the Millenium Dome is a spectacular monument of the
> doublethink of our times.
> [Agree]   [Disagree]
>                 <http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>

+1

--
Usuario Linux Registrado #452368
Usuario Ubuntu Registrado #28025

"Doing a thing well is often a waste of time."
//Netbook - HP Mini 1035NR 2GB 60GB - Windows XP/Ubuntu 9.04
//Desktop - Core 2 Duo 1.86Ghz 8GB 320GB - Windows 7 - Ubuntu 9.04
//Server - Athlon 64 2.7Ghz 8GB 500GB - Debian Lenny
//Server - Pentium D 3.2Ghz 4GB 400GB - Debian Lenny
//Server - NSLU2 266Mhz 32MB 1TB - Debian Lenny