Re: When you needed newer software than Sid/Backports provide...

In <[🔎] 90bb445a0907071607k26d7720fwf19c65e91c501fcd@mail.gmail.com>, Akira
Kitada wrote:
>Hi list,
>I use Lenny for my workstation, where I try new cutting-edge software.
>
>My solution for this is easy and typical. Building from source and put
>it on /usr/local.
>That way, I can keep stable system while using the latest software.
>However, it didn't take so long to make /usr/local a mess.
>There's no easy way to track what I've installed because they're
>installed manually.
>It'd be nice if I could manage those software with apt but I suppose
>that might conflicts with ones Lenny provides.
>
>So here's my question. How can you manage new softwares while keeping
>the system stable?
>Using packages from backports.org or Sid? Do you build .deb packages
> yourself? Can you keep the Lenny's intact?

http://www.iguanasuicide.net/node/4

You can choose the version from backports, testing, sid, or experimental
through the aptitude curses interface, or by using 'aptitude install -t
$release $packages' or 'aptitude install $package=$version'.

If Sid/experimental doesn't contain a new enough package for you, find it is
some other signed repository, add it to your sources.list, set a priority
(200 maybe?) for it, and add the signing key to your apt keychain.

If it isn't in any signed repository, just install a .deb using dpkg, or an
.rpm via alien.  If you *have* to compile to software yourself, roll your
own .deb; it's not that hard to make a minimal one so that the software can
be easily uninstalled and file conflicts can be detected.