Re: Help with ndiswrapper and Broadcom wireless

Florian Kulzer wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 14:28:13 -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> > Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> > > Try what I suggested earlier regarding rf switch, BIOS settings and
> > > configuration under Windows. If nothing else helps, install a newer
> > > kernel and rebuild the wl module.
> >
> > I've been through all the BIOS options, nothing in there about wireless as
> > far as I can tell. The switch for the wireless has no effect, other than to
> > cause the device to disappear from lsusb.
>
> Since you keep ignoring my questions about this device under Windows, I
> will assume that you do not have Windows installed on this laptop.

Sorry about that, but yes, you're right. I don't even know where I would get
Windows from anymore.

> > This is the weird thing: I did a reinstall of the OS yesterday to get 'clean
> > slate' (hopefully), and when I first booted up the new install I did lspci
> > and lsusb. lspci showed the Broadcom device as I originally posted, lsusb
> > showed the HP integrated wireless device.
>
> I do not understand why you are not posting the relevant part of the
> "lspci -knn" output; I have asked for it repeatedly.

Okay, but the device is gone again. There is no output for it in lspci right
now:

tablet:/home/lajolla# lspci -knn | grep -iEA2 'broadcom|bcm|wireless|wifi'
tablet:/home/lajolla#

> > I would like to try to install a newer kernel, but I'm having trouble
> > finding where to get that. I did apt-cache search linux-image to see what
> > was available, but nothing newer than mine was listed. Right now I have
> > 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP.
>
> If you run Squeeze then it should be possible to install a 2.6.30 kernel
> from Sid; backports.org has 2.6.30 kernel images for Lenny.

I'm going to give that a shot, then and I'll report back. Thanks again for all
of your assistance.