Re: dpkg --set-selections and aptitude

Suno Ano:
>  Jochen> - How should I proceed concerning the auto/manual status of all
>  Jochen>   those packages?
>
> below you can see how I replicate a system; since two or so years now, I
> simply "inject" the package list on the new system and then "aptitude
> install" does the trick i.e. there is no crazy circular dependency hell
> as it happened to me too with apt-get dselect-upgrade in the past

Do I get it right that you are doing it basically the same way but just
use 'aptitude install' instead of 'apt-get dselect-upgrade'?

If yes, this puzzles me even further since I did the same as you but
when I run 'aptitude install' aptitude still wants to remove hundreds of
packages.

BTW, you have earned yourself a few useless-use-of-cat-awards on your
page. :) Instead of

cat /tmp/packet_selection_on_orig | dpkg --set-selections

you can do

dpkg --set-selections < /tmp/packet_selection_on_orig

J.
--
Atrocities committed in Rwanda pervade my mind when I am discussing
mundanities with acquaintances.